Beck Institute is committed to supporting our global community as it responds to the urgent mental health needs posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. We have compiled the following resources to assist professionals in the health, mental health, and adjacent fields in helping their clients during this time.
*Please note that any item with an asterisk is appropriate for the general public, in addition to mental health professionals.
This is a dynamic list and we will add resources as we create or find them. If you have anything you would like to share, please email email@example.com.
Back to School Resources
- Beck Institute created this extensive list of CBT resources* for parents of young children and adolescents. It contains timely information on dealing with stress, anxiety, and other issues that can affect school-aged children during this challenging time. (Please note that this list is evolving, and we will continue to add resources to it.)
Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy (CT-R) Webinar Series: Flourishing in a Time of Prescribed Social Distancing *
- Beck Institute Center for Recovery-Oriented Cognitive Therapy Co-directors Paul Grant, PhD and Ellen Inverso, PsyD lead brief, weekly, web-based discussions on April 10, April 17, and May 1, 2020. The practical strategies that CT-R emphasizes can help anyone thrive – families, individuals, essential employees, and health/mental health workers – amidst the challenges of the COVID-19 crisis. Watch all three webinars and download accompanying questions and resources.
CBT for Front-Line Medical Professionals: Brief Interventions During a Time of Crisis
- As part of our ongoing response to COVID-19, Dr. Allen Miller, CBT Program Director, drew upon his decades of experience in crisis intervention on April 4, 2020 to deliver a webinar to a group of psychiatrists who are volunteering their time to provide counseling to front-line medical professionals. Throughout this presentation, Dr. Miller shares tips on how to deliver brief, practical CBT interventions during an evolving crisis.
CBT for Front-Line Medical Professionals: Using the Socratic Method
- Dr. Allen Miller continued training for Physician Support Line in this May 16, 2020 webinar focused on Socratic questioning in CBT. Dr. Miller explains the Socratic Questions in CBT, and describes specific uses and strategies for deploying this foundational practice in work with front-line medical staff.
CBT for Substance Use Disorders During the COVID-19 Crisis: Two-Part Series
- In Part One of this on-demand webinar, Dr. Allen Miller, Director of CBT Programs, discusses how to adjust CBT treatment for substance use disorders during the COVID-19 pandemic and relates issues of social isolation, anxiety, and stress may heighten challenges for individuals working on recovery.
- In Part Two, he describes over twenty CBT techniques to use when working with people on recovery issues during the COVID-19 Crisis. Dr. Miller offers different CBT techniques as options for helping people with recovery efforts during the COVID-19 crisis.
Managing Mental Health in the Workplace
- In this webinar, Dr. Allen Miller, Director of CBT Programs at Beck Institute, discusses ways in which organizations and businesses can address this important topic respectfully and responsibly. He provides a summary background of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), one of the most popular and widely-studied evidence-based practices in the world, alongside tips for managers and supervisors in discussing mental health and strategies to normalize discussions of mental health in the workplace.
Clinic and Faculty Blogs
- A Message Regarding COVID-19 From Dr. Judith Beck*
- Allen R. Miller, PhD, MBA: Using CBT to Respond to COVID-19*
- Ellen Inverso, PsyD: Connection, Belonging, and Purpose in the World of Social Distancing*
- A Short Mindfulness Exercise for Anxiety With Robert Hindman, PhD*
- April Moran, LCSW-C: Adolescents, Young Adults, Cancer and Anxiety; Finding Control Amid COVID*
- COVID-19 Updates From Beck Institute’s International Advisory Committee*
- COVID-19 Updates From Beck Institute’s International Advisory Committee: Part 2*
- Judith S. Beck, PhD: A CBT Approach to Living with Uncertainty: Control What You Can and Accept What You Can’t*
- Norman Cotterell, PhD: Helping Anxious Clients Find Strength and Purpose During COVID-19
- Telehealth Tips from Dr. Robert Hindman
- Deborah Beck Busis, LCSW: Why Maintaining Control of Healthy Habits Matters During the Coronavirus Outbreak*
- Francine Broder, PsyD: Evidence-Based Strategies for Self-Care During COVID-19*
- The Pennsylvania Psychological Association has released a document containing helpful information regarding telehealth in Pennsylvania during COVID-19. This document covers commercial insurance, Medicaid/Medicare, and Billing for telehealth, as well as choosing a platform, APA guidelines, informed consent, and training in telepsychology, and is being regularly updated.
- Feeling Anxious Right Now? These Therapy Apps can Help You Manage Your Mental Health
- 10 Virtual Therapy and Mental Health Apps to Cope With Coronavirus Stress
- What Services Are Available and How to Protect Your Mental Health Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic (Canada)
- Strategies for Effective Telehealth Sessions
- List of Temporary Allowances for Interjurisdictional Telepsychological Practice
- COVID-19 Resources – Remote Delivery Guides for PTSD, Social Anxiety, and Panic Disorder
- Best Tech for Working From Home During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Using CT-R Strategies in Telehealth
Relevant Articles on Dealing with Traumatic Events
- The Nature and Treatment of Pandemic-Related Psychological Distress
- Coronavirus and the (Temporary) Loss of What We Take for Granted: How To Keep On Going*
- A Road Map to Finding Calm Amid Coronavirus Anxiety*
- How to Take Care of Your Mental Health While Social Distancing*
- Volunteer Opportunities for Counseling Psychology Professionals
- How Quarantining and Social Distancing are Affecting Mental Health*
- A Psychologist’s Science-Based Tips for Emotional Resilience During the Coronavirus Crisis*
- Jump Start the Day with a Good Morning Routine and Fight the Coronavirus Sluggishness and Blues*
- ‘Escalating Panic’: Social Worker On How Coronavirus Pandemic Can Affect Mental Health And How We Can Better Cope*
- NAMI Coordinator Shares Her Struggles to Help Others With Mental Illness
- How to Take Control When You’re Emotionally Overwhelmed*
- Self-Care for Psychologists During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Are You Worried About the Coronavirus?*
- Coronavirus Anxiety
- Staying Home During the Pandemic*
- Depressive Thinking During the Coronavirus Pandemic*
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide*
- LiveWell Foundation: Free Mental Wellness and Depression Support Groups*
- University of Arizona College of Public Health: COVID-19 Communication Toolkit for Parents and Teachers*
- What to Do (and Not Do) When Children Are Anxious*
- Northwestern University Department of Clinical Counseling: Strategies for Coping with Isolation and Loneliness During the Coronavirus Pandemic*
- NewYork-Presbyterian: How to Adjust to the New Normal*
- Georgetown University School of Nursing and Health Studies: How Nurses Can Protect Themselves as They Work to Save Others
- Socratic Questions*
- Strength in a Time of Social Distancing*
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation*
- Strengthening the Adaptive Mode: Questions List*
- Connection, Belonging and Purpose in a World of Social Distancing*
- Supercharge Activity Scheduling with Your Clients
- Donald Meichenbaum, PhD: Roadmap to Resilience*
- David A. Clark, PhD and Aaron T. Beck, MD: The Anxiety and Worry Workbook: The Cognitive Behavioral Solution
- Dennis Greenberger, PhD and Christine A. Padesky, PhD: Mind Over Mood, Second Edition: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think
- American Psychological Association: Keeping Your Distance to Stay Safe*
- Centers for Disease Control: COVID-19 – How To Prepare*
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network: Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With COVID-19*
- The Lancet: The Psychological Impact of Quarantine and How To Reduce It*
- Factors Associated With Mental Health Outcomes Among Health Care Workers Exposed to Coronavirus Disease 2019*
- Dealing with Sleep Problems During Home Confinement Due to the COVID-19 Outbreak: Practical Recommendations from a Task Force of the European CBT-I Academy*