Download the Beck CBT Certification Prerequisite Checklist
You will need to have completed a terminal education degree with a behavioral or mental health specialization. This degree should have prepared you to see clients and practice as a clinician, in addition to:
- Continuing Education or Graduate Training* in the following subject areas:
- Human Development
- Cultural Influences
- Research and Statistics
*This refers to courses and training taken after obtaining a bachelor’s degree, either during graduate school or as a continuing education course. This training does not need to have been provided in full three-credit courses and there is no minimum hourly amount or other specific requirement (e.g., format, graded, etc.).
Work/Clinical Experience Requirements:
- 2,000 hours of supervised clinical work; does not have to be continuous
- Clinical work may have been performed as part of an internship, fellowship, and/or after graduation from a terminal degree program.
- Clinical hours must be supervised by qualified supervisors (licensed where required). The primary orientation of the supervisor may be other than CBT.
Professional and Documentation Requirements:
- Professional license (as required in the locale(s) in which you practice)
- Liability insurance (only as required in the locale(s) in which you practice)
- Resume or CV
- You will also need to attest to your history of ethical practice, reporting any license suspensions or refused credentialing. You will be asked if you have any medical problems that impede your ability to provide good quality cognitive therapy.